I’m Vince—a retired chemist, genealogist, and public Bible instructor. My cousin, Ellen, is a traveler, mathematician and computer programmer. We love all things technical and puzzling that offer a twist of the bizarre or the humorous.
I am 66 this year. Retired, the government suddenly loves me—they “care.”
Ellen is sharper than a tack, and writes whimsical pieces as if she wasn’t 85! Is it any wonder I view her with deep respect and affection?
Some feel science is boring—cut and dried. That’s just wrong. It can be exciting. We wish to stress that, at QuirkyScience! We hope you will enjoy what you see here.
- Vincent E. Summers BS ’73 Drexel University
- Ellen H. Fenwick PhD ’76 Temple University
Now we realize tastes vary: for those of you who stumbled here accidentally and loathe technical topics, we include a smorgasbord of non-science articles.
We hope you will enjoy the quirky fare, below, and under each of the tabs, above.
- Spin That Egg!
- The Brown Widow Spider
- Epoxide Ring Preparation
- The Brown Recluse Spider
- Vorticella – a Living Spring
- Why Metals Conduct Electricity
- Science: The New Sun Worship?
- In Your Food: Locust Bean Gum
- Is the Neutron a Stable Particle?
- In Your Face: Micrathena Spider
- Decarboxylation of Carboxylic Acids
- A Callus is Different from Other Skin
- The Y-Chromosome: Is It in Danger?
- The Nature and Preparation of Esters
- Cesium Auride – Relativistic Electrons?
- Components and Functions of a Neuron
- Aerogel: Its Properties and Applications
- Aquaponics—Symbiosis of Plant and Fish
- What Actually Happens at Absolute Zero?
- Nitrogen Tri-Iodide: A Schoolboy Explosive?
- The Permanent Wave—Chem-mystery of Curl
- Terpenes and Terpenoids – The Isoprene Rule
- Do You Heat with Propane? Do Your Eyes Burn?
- Graphene—Production, Properties, Application
- Atomic Electron Quantum Number – An Overview
- What are the Two Processes Called Electron Capture?
- Organic Chemistry: Arrow Pushing (Pushing Electrons)
- How Much Does an Atom Weigh – Two Ways to Find Out
- The Ammonia Flip, Quantum Tunneling & Quantum Oscillations
Email us concerning topics you’d like discussed at QuirkyScience. Or, if you’d like it, we can be commissioned to write pieces for your website. We can be reached through:
March 4, 2015