I’m Vince, the founder of QuirkyScience—a retired chemist, genealogist, and public Bible instructor. My cousin Ellen is a traveler, mathematician, and computer programmer. We love things technical and puzzling that feature the bizarre or the humorous.
I turn 67 this year. Now that I am retired, the government claims to “care” for me.
As to Ellen—she is sharper than a tack, and writes whimsical pieces belying her age of 86! She never stops sharing her perspectives or being involved as best she can.
Now, some feel science is boring—cut and dried. That’s just wrong. It is exciting. We try to emphasize that, at QuirkyScience! We hope you will enjoy what you see here.
Special Note: “We’d like to give a great big thank-you to Victoria Nicks (MSIT), admin of the DecodedEverything collection of websites, for the new, mobile-friendly look of QuirkyScience.”
P.S. We realize tastes vary: for those of you who stumbled here accidentally and loathe technical topics, we include a smorgasbord of non-science articles.
We hope you will enjoy the quirky fare, below, and under each of the tabs, above.
- Science: Sun Worship?
- Callus Skin is Different
- The Brown Widow Spider
- Propane Heat: Eyes Burn?
- Vorticella: a Living Spring
- Carob or Locust Bean Gum
- The Neutron a Stable Particle?
- Why Metals Conduct Electricity
- The Y-Chromosome: In Danger?
- Micrathena Spider In Your Face
- What Happens at Absolute Zero?
- Calculate Atom Weight Two Ways
- Spin That Egg to See If It is Cooked
- Decarboxylation of Carboxylic Acids
- Aerogel Properties and Applications
- Organic Chemistry: Pushing Electrons
- Watch Out! The Brown Recluse Spider
- Components and Functions of Neurons
- Cesium Auride – Relativistic Electrons?
- Esters: Their Structure and Preparation
- Permanent Wave: Chem-mystery of Curl
- Terpenes and Terpenoids: Isoprene Rule
- Aquaponics: Symbiosis of Plants and Fish
- Nitrogen Tri-Iodide: Schoolboy Explosive?
- The Two Processes Called Electron Capture
- Atomic Electron Quantum Numbers Overview
- Graphene Production, Properties, Applications
- The Dipolar Molecule Water – Mickey the Dipole
- Ammonia Flip, Quantum Tunneling & Oscillations
- Epoxide Ring Preparation by Oxidation of Alkenes
Email us concerning topics you’d like discussed at QuirkyScience. Or, if you’d like it, we can be commissioned to write pieces for your website. We can be reached through:
August 26, 2015