Ellen H. Fenwick, my first cousin, is a traveler, mathematician, and computer programmer. We love all things technical and puzzling—topics that feature the bizarre or the humorous—the quirky.
Ellen is sharp as a tack and writes whimsical pieces despite her octogenarian status. She enjoys sharing her perspectives on life.
But let’s talk about you. Some of you searched us out because you find science and math fascinating. Others stumbled in here by accident and feel science is boring. We hope to alter that perspective.
Science and mathematics, are exciting! Despite that, even they are boring in the hands of scientists who communicate like lawyers. We try to avoid that here.
Special Note: “We’d like to give a great big thank-you to Victoria Nicks (MSIT), admin of the DecodedEverything collection of websites, for the ever-improving look at QuirkyScience.”Vincent E. Summers BS ’73 Drexel University
Ellen H. Fenwick PhD ’76 Temple University
Special Feature from Guest Author Robert G. Chester:
QuirkyScience Feature ArticlesWe hope you will enjoy the quirky fare, below, as well as under each of the tabs, above.
- How to Glue Teflon?
- Science: Sun Worship?
- Callus Skin is Different
- The Brown Widow Spider
- Vorticella: a Living Spring
- Propane Heat: Eyes Burn?
- Carob or Locust Bean Gum
- The Neutron a Stable Particle?
- Why Oil and Water Do Not Mix
- Why Metals Conduct Electricity
- The Y Chromosome: In Danger?
- Micrathena Spider In Your Face
- Aluminum Was a Precious Metal
- What Happens at Absolute Zero?
- Pompeii: Frozen Animal Statues?
- Calculate Atom Weight Two Ways
- Spin That Egg to See If It is Cooked
- Polyacetylene Conductive Polymer
- Aerogel Properties and Applications
- Decarboxylation of Carboxylic Acids
- Watch Out! The Brown Recluse Spider
- Organic Chemistry: Pushing Electrons
- Cesium Auride – Relativistic Electrons?
- Components and Functions of Neurons
- Esters: Their Structure and Preparation
- Terpenes and Terpenoids: Isoprene Rule
- Permanent Wave: Chem-mystery of Curl
- Nitrogen Triiodide: Schoolboy Explosive?
- Aquaponics: Symbiosis of Plants and Fish
- Volvox Reproduction and Morphogenesis
- The Two Processes Called Electron Capture
- Atomic Electron Quantum Numbers Overview
- Graphene Properties, Applications, Production
- Jargon: When to Use It and When Not to Use It
- Molecular Structure of Hydronium Ion Hydrate
- The Dipolar Molecule Water – Mickey the Dipole
- Tongue Stuck to a Silver Spoon Eating Ice Cream?
- Epoxide Ring Preparation by Oxidation of Alkenes
- Nitrocellulose Motion Picture Film Decomposition
- Aromatic Resonance: What It Is and What It Is Not
- Ammonia Flip, Quantum Tunneling, & Oscillations
- How I Became the NRAO Electroplater / Electroformer
- What is the Kinetic Isotope Effect and How is It Useful?
- Eye Color and Genetic Inheritance: Dominant -vs.- Receptive
- Cuprous Sulfate: A Disagreement with My High School Teacher
- November 2016 Nelson County and Amherst County Brush Fires
- Acid-Base and REDOX (Oxidation-Reduction) Chemical Reactions
- The Fascinating Acetylacetone Molecule and Its Acetylacetonate Salts
- Differences between Fluorescence, Phosphorescence, Incandescence
- 50th Anniversary Celebration of the 140′ Radio Telescope at Green Bank WV
June 08, 2018