I’m Vince—a retired chemist, genealogist, and public Bible instructor. My cousin, Ellen, is a traveler, mathematician and computer programmer. We love all things technical and puzzling that offer a twist of the bizarre or the humorous.
I am 67 this year. Retired, the government suddenly loves me—they “care.”
Ellen is sharper than a tack, and writes whimsical pieces as if she wasn’t 86! Is it any wonder I view her with deep respect and affection?
Some feel science is boring—cut and dried. That’s just wrong. It can be exciting. We wish to stress that, at QuirkyScience! We hope you will enjoy what you see here.
- Vincent E. Summers BS ’73 Drexel University
- Ellen H. Fenwick PhD ’76 Temple University
Now we realize tastes vary: for those of you who stumbled here accidentally and loathe technical topics, we include a smorgasbord of non-science articles.
We hope you will enjoy the quirky fare, below, and under each of the tabs, above.
- Callus Skin is Different
- Science: Sun Worship?
- The Brown Widow Spider
- Propane Heat: Eyes Burn?
- Vorticella: a Living Spring
- Carob or Locust Bean Gum
- The Neutron a Stable Particle?
- Why Metals Conduct Electricity
- The Y-Chromosome: In Danger?
- Micrathena Spider In Your Face
- What Happens at Absolute Zero?
- Calculate Atom Weight Two Ways
- Spin That Egg to See If It is Cooked
- Decarboxylation of Carboxylic Acids
- Aerogel Properties and Applications
- Organic Chemistry: Pushing Electrons
- Watch Out! The Brown Recluse Spider
- Components and Functions of Neurons
- Cesium Auride – Relativistic Electrons?
- Esters: Their Structure and Preparation
- Permanent Wave: Chem-mystery of Curl
- Terpenes and Terpenoids: Isoprene Rule
- Aquaponics: Symbiosis of Plants and Fish
- Nitrogen Tri-Iodide: Schoolboy Explosive?
- The Two Processes Called Electron Capture
- Atomic Electron Quantum Numbers Overview
- Graphene Production, Properties, Applications
- Epoxide Ring Preparation by Oxidation of Alkenes
- Ammonia Flip, Quantum Tunneling & Oscillations
Email us concerning topics you’d like discussed at QuirkyScience. Or, if you’d like it, we can be commissioned to write pieces for your website. We can be reached through:
May 23, 2015