I’m Vince, the founder of QuirkyScience. I am a writer, retired chemist, genealogist, and public Bible instructor. Ellen, my first cousin, is a traveler, mathematician, and computer programmer. We love all things technical and puzzling—topics that feature the bizarre or the humorous—the quirky.
Ellen is sharp as a tack and writes whimsical pieces despite her octogenarian status. She enjoys sharing her perspectives on life.
A whopping 305 lbs, I am waging war with one of the fundamental forces of nature—gravity. I seem unable to win so much as a pyrrhic victory.
But let’s talk about you. Some of you searched us out because you find science (and/or math) fascinating. Others stumbled in here quite by accident and find science boring. We hope to correct that perspective.
Science and its companion, mathematics, are exciting! But even science is lackluster when scientists communicate like lawyers. We try to avoid that here.
Special Note: “We’d like to give a great big thank-you to Victoria Nicks (MSIT), admin of the DecodedEverything collection of websites, for the new, mobile-friendly look of QuirkyScience.”
Special Feature from Guest Author Robert G. Chester:
QuirkyScience Feature Articles
We hope you will enjoy the quirky fare, below, as well as under each of the tabs, above.
- How to Glue Teflon?
- Science: Sun Worship?
- Callus Skin is Different
- The Brown Widow Spider
- Vorticella: a Living Spring
- Propane Heat: Eyes Burn?
- Carob or Locust Bean Gum
- The Neutron a Stable Particle?
- Why Oil and Water Do Not Mix
- Why Metals Conduct Electricity
- The Y Chromosome: In Danger?
- Micrathena Spider In Your Face
- Aluminum Was a Precious Metal
- What Happens at Absolute Zero?
- Pompeii: Frozen Animal Statues?
- Calculate Atom Weight Two Ways
- Spin That Egg to See If It is Cooked
- Polyacetylene Conductive Polymer
- Aerogel Properties and Applications
- Decarboxylation of Carboxylic Acids
- Watch Out! The Brown Recluse Spider
- Organic Chemistry: Pushing Electrons
- Cesium Auride – Relativistic Electrons?
- Components and Functions of Neurons
- Esters: Their Structure and Preparation
- Terpenes and Terpenoids: Isoprene Rule
- Permanent Wave: Chem-mystery of Curl
- Nitrogen Triiodide: Schoolboy Explosive?
- Aquaponics: Symbiosis of Plants and Fish
- Volvox Reproduction and Morphogenesis
- The Two Processes Called Electron Capture
- Atomic Electron Quantum Numbers Overview
- Graphene Production, Properties, Applications
- The Dipolar Molecule Water – Mickey the Dipole
- Epoxide Ring Preparation by Oxidation of Alkenes
- Nitrocellulose Motion Picture Film Decomposition
- Ammonia Flip, Quantum Tunneling, & Oscillations
- How I Became the NRAO Electroplater / Electroformer
- 50th Anniversary Celebration of the 140′ Radio Telescope at Green Bank WV
Email us concerning topics you’d like to see discussed at QuirkyScience. Or, if you prefer, we can be commissioned to write pieces.
Contact us via: email@example.com.
May 24, 2016